Research Manager, Drawdown Lift
About Project Drawdown
The World’s Leading Resource for Climate Solutions
Project Drawdown is a nonprofit organization that seeks to help the world reach “Drawdown”— the future point in time when levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere stop climbing and start to steadily decline. Since the 2017 publication of the New York Times bestseller Drawdown, the organization has emerged as a leading resource for information and insight about climate solutions. Cities, universities, corporations, philanthropies, policymakers, communities, educators, activists, and more turn to Project Drawdown, as they look to advance effective climate action. We aim to support the growing constellation of efforts to move climate solutions forward and move the world toward Drawdown—as quickly, safely, and equitably as possible.
See The Drawdown Review—2020 for the latest update to our work.
Drawdown Lift is a new initiative that will explore the links between climate change solutions, health, and improving human wellbeing, particularly in emerging economies in Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. This effort will work to break down disciplinary walls and amplify solutions that simultaneously address climate change and leverage the resourcefulness and resilience of people in emerging economies.
Project Drawdown is seeking a passionate, committed, and experienced individual to join the Drawdown Lift team. In this role, the individual will be a key member of Drawdown Lift and lead/assist in research and writing projects that support and advance our work to scale climate and human wellbeing solutions that meet the magnitude of the climate crisis and human development needs. Project Drawdown has already identified an important subset of these, and we will work to find additional best practices for climate solutions that have co-benefits to human health, education, and economic development, as well as amplify poverty alleviation solutions that also have significant benefits to addressing climate change.
The position will report to the Director of Drawdown Lift.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent researcher and communicator, adept at managing and analyzing big data, participating in expert working groups, and effectively communicating evidence-based research to policy audiences and the public. We seek candidates who are passionate about and have direct experience working on interdisciplinary topics, value working across sectors to find solutions to global challenges and are committed to collaborations focused on the nexus of health, poverty alleviation, human wellbeing, and climate change solutions.
As a small organization with a big mission, the Research Manager, Drawdown Lift will need to work with independence and self-direction yet thrive in collaboration to lead and manage simultaneous projects and meet deadlines.
Project Drawdown welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in helping the world reach Drawdown quickly, safely, and equitably. We are a 100% remote organization based in the U.S.
The Research Manager, Drawdown Lift position will include:
Research and data analysis
- Contribute to and/or lead quantitative and qualitative research and data analysis, in collaboration with external academic and practitioner partners as well as the Project Drawdown Research team.
- Conduct stakeholder mapping in key solution areas, identifying gaps, policy barriers, and investment needs to scale key human wellbeing, poverty reduction, and climate solutions.
- Assist in setting performance metrics for Drawdown Lift and methodologies for assessing progress against these metrics.
- Help track and coordinate priorities, themes, and research with Lift partners.
- Participate in virtual (and eventually in-person) workshops, convenings, and conferences.
- Assist in identifying, verifying, and documenting solutions and successes of Drawdown Lift for broader public learning and awareness.
Writing and Communications
- Develop and contribute to journal articles, case studies, white papers, and web articles to synthesize knowledge about climate, human wellbeing, and poverty solutions.
- Based on Drawdown Lift themes, conceptualize graphics and other visual content to support blog posts, social media posts, and other editorial content.
- Contribute Lift content for Project Drawdown’s newsletter, including drafting articles at the idea stage.
Education and/or Experience
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- Master’s (required); Doctorate in relevant field a plus.
- 3-7 years of experience in international health, sustainable development, poverty alleviation, demography, climate science, or a related field.
- Demonstrated quantitative research experience in global health, poverty alleviation, and/or climate change.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Experience working/living/studying in emerging economy countries.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The qualifications listed here are necessary to perform this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Skilled in quantitative data analysis and multidisciplinary research design on topics such as resilience, poverty, sustainable development, health, population dynamics, and climate science.
- Ability to research and synthesize a wide range of human wellbeing, poverty reduction, and climate solutions and create concise, high quality written products and presentations.
- Experience managing expert advisory groups, convenings, and engagements (virtual and in-person).
- Experience developing and implementing strategy and project plans.
- Excellent written, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills to engage effectively within Project Drawdown and with external collaborators/stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage workflow on deadline.
- Self-starter with an ability to work independently and as a member of a remote team.
- Flexibility, creativity, and can-do attitude.
- Commitment to raising up voices from youth, marginalized communities, and community leaders in low- and middle-income countries.
- Strong passion for helping the world achieve Drawdown.
- Fluency in English.
As with all positions at Project Drawdown, this will be 100% remote. Employees can work anywhere within the United States. Candidates currently authorized to work in the United States (US Citizens, green card holders, and work visa holders), who reside anywhere within the US may apply.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Compensation and benefits are competitive. We work hard to ensure our salaries are competitive with similar leading nonprofits in major cities across America. In addition, Project Drawdown provides exceptional benefits, including generous time off, health insurance and matching 401k. We will share compensation package details with candidates we invite into our interview process.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete our online application form. All candidates will need to upload a cover letter, their most recent resume, as well as work samples as described below:
- Cover letter that creatively communicates who you are and your interest in this role.
- Resume detailing your professional and educational background.
- Writing sample of 2-4 pieces of climate-related research or writing (Please include relevant project context and details about your role or contribution).
Applications must be received no later than Saturday March 6, 2021 for consideration.
Project Drawdown is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Project Drawdown does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by law, and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. We strongly encourage all qualified persons to apply for this position. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and the organization’s need.
If you have questions, contact us at email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.