Climate Finance Senior Research Fellow, Drawdown Labs
About Project Drawdown
The World’s Leading Resource for Climate Solutions
Project Drawdown is a nonprofit organization that seeks to help the world reach “Drawdown”— the future point in time when levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere stop climbing and start to steadily decline. Since the 2017 publication of the New York Times bestseller Drawdown, the organization has emerged as a leading resource for information and insight about climate solutions. Cities, universities, corporations, philanthropies, policymakers, communities, educators, activists, and more turn to Project Drawdown, as they look to advance effective climate action. We aim to support the growing constellation of efforts to move climate solutions forward and move the world toward Drawdown—as quickly, safely, and equitably as possible.
Drawdown Labs is Project Drawdown’s private sector testing ground for accelerating the scaling of climate solutions quickly, safely, and equitably. Leveraging the organization's world-class research and analysis—and the cross-industry capabilities of participating businesses and funders—Drawdown Labs experiments with collaborative ways to address climate change at unprecedented scale, and offers the world a more expansive vision for private sector climate leadership.
The Climate Finance Senior Research Fellow will expand Project Drawdown’s research and resources on climate finance to accelerate a shift in capital toward the most effective climate solutions. Project Drawdown has identified a wide-spread need among climate-conscious investors, funders, and philanthropies, seeking guidance on how best to scale high-impact climate solutions. This research will address that gap by providing analysis on the most effective financial mechanisms and timelines for investing in climate solutions. Additionally, this position will research climate-smart individual finance, to substantiate and accelerate the flow of private capital to climate-committed financial institutions and funds. Simply put, the goal is to raise the quality and quantity of climate finance to the level required to achieve Drawdown by midcentury. Over the course of the year, the Climate Finance Fellow would advance two key objectives:
- Research and crosswalk Project Drawdown’s climate solutions with the most effective financial mechanisms. Research will be featured in Project Drawdown’s signature publication, The Drawdown Review, and comprise a stand-alone climate financing guide targeting the impact investment community. The goal is to better inform strategic climate-related investments, with an emphasis on underfunded and capital-intensive climate solutions. This research will also review policy levers and public finance strategies that will mobilize private capital.
- Research a new Drawdown solution on climate smart consumer-level banking and savings. Depending on the findings, the Senior Fellow would also integrate consumer-level climate finance into Drawdown’s broader system of climate solutions. The fellow would work with Drawdown Labs to translate the research into action, creating roadmaps and tools to illuminate the climate impact of consumer-level financial decisions and actively working to shift private capital.
The position will report to the Director of Drawdown Labs, and work closely with the Labs and others within Project Drawdown. This is a one-year position, with the possibility for extension to support Drawdown Labs’ programmatic expansion into Drawdown-aligned investment and philanthropy.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent researcher and communicator, with academic expertise and experience working in climate finance. We seek solutions-oriented candidates who are passionate about addressing the climate crisis.
As a small team with a big mission, The Climate Finance Senior Fellow will need to work with independence and self-direction yet thrive in collaboration. Project Drawdown welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in helping the world reach Drawdown quickly, safely, and equitably. We are a 100% remote organization based in the U.S. Candidates currently authorized to work in the United States (U.S. Citizens, green card holders, and work visa holders), who reside anywhere within the U.S. may apply.
Working in conjunction with the Drawdown Labs and Solutions teams, the Climate Finance Senior Fellow position will include:
Research and data analysis
- Conduct lit-review on effective financing mechanism for Drawdown solutions
- Lead research and data analysis to quantify the climate positive impact of consumer-level financial decision making.
- Map the landscape of leading climate positive investors as well as related NGO, governmental organizations.
- Engage Drawdown Labs’ business partners within Drawdown labs established working groups.
- Develop new strategic partnerships with leading investors and NGOs to accelerate the shift in capital.
Writing and Communications
- Contribute to the annual Drawdown Review and Drawdown-aligned investor roadmaps.
- Help translate climate finance research into graphics and other visual content to support Drawdown Labs’ blog posts, social media posts, and other editorial content.
Education and/or Experience
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- Master’s (required); Doctorate in relevant field a plus.
- 3-7 years of experience in impact finance, ideally climate solutions financing.
- Demonstrated research experience in impact investment, economics, or ecological economics
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The qualifications listed here are necessary to perform this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Skilled in economic data analysis and research on topics such as, applied economics, financial modeling, socially responsible/E.S.G/climate-smart investment.
- Experience participating in advisory groups, convenings, and engagements (virtual and in-person).
- Experience developing and implementing strategy and project plans.
- Excellent written, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills to engage effectively within Project Drawdown and with external collaborators/stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage workflow on deadline.
- Dedicated to scaling solutions to the climate crisis quickly, safely and equitably.
- Self-starter with an ability to work independently and as a member of a remote team.
- Flexibility, creativity, and can-do attitude.
- Strong passion for helping the world achieve Drawdown.
- Fluency in English.
As with all positions at Project Drawdown, this will be 100% remote. Employees can work anywhere within the United States. Candidates currently authorized to work in the United States (US Citizens, green card holders, and work visa holders), who reside anywhere within the US may apply.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Compensation and benefits are competitive. We work hard to ensure our salaries are competitive with similar leading nonprofits in major cities across America. In addition, Project Drawdown provides exceptional benefits, including generous time off, health insurance and matching 401k. We will share compensation package details with candidates we invite into our interview process.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete our online application form. All candidates will need to upload a cover letter, their most recent resume, as well as work samples as described below:
- Cover letter that creatively communicates your background and fit for this role.
- Resume detailing your professional and educational background.
- Portfolio of 2-4 pieces of climate-related research or writing (please include relevant context and details about your role or contribution).
Applications will be reviewed beginning September 20, 2021. The application process may be closed at any point after that date.
Project Drawdown is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Project Drawdown does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by law, and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. We strongly encourage all qualified persons to apply for this position. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and the organization’s need.
If you have questions, contact us at email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.